Scallop, Chorizo & Potato Salad with Harissa DressingServes: 2 as a main course or 4 as a starter
Prep Time: 15 mins
Cook Time: 30 mins
For the Salad
200g baby new potatoes
1 red pepper
1 red onion
1 medium red chilli, without seeds if you like it less spicy
4 cloves of garlic
large handful of cherry tomatoes
half a large chorizo
8-10 large scallops
bag of rocket and watercress salad
fresh herbs - I used a good handful of basil and parsley
For the Harissa Dressing
2 tsps harissa sauce
juice of half a lemon
4 tsps olive oil
1 tsp red wine vinegar
a few finely chopped parsley leaves
Heat your oven to 180c / 340F / Gas Mark 4 and put a full kettle on to boil
1. Cut your new potatoes in half lengthways and put them in a pan of boiling water from the kettle. They will need to boil for 10 minutes or so - you can get on with the rest of the prep while they are boiling.
2. Deseed and cut your red pepper into chunks, cut your onion into large pieces and add these vegetables to a roasting pan. Chop your chilli into slices and add this along with the garlic cloves to the roasting pan. Keep your cherry tomatoes whole and add these in, along with a good glug of olive oil.
3. Take the skin off your chorizo and cut into discs about 1cm deep. Chop your herbs and set aside. Arrange your salad leaves onto the plates.
4. By now your potatoes should be ready, so drain them well before adding to the roasting pan with the rest of your veg. Toss everything with the olive oil and season before putting the pan into the oven.
5. You can relax for 20 minutes now while everything cooks in the roasting pan - have a cuppa!
6. Check on your veg - it should be browning slightly and your potatoes nearly cooked through. This is the time to cook your chorizo and scallops. In a dry frying pan (the chorizo will give out it's own oil) place your chorizo discs and allow them to crisp up on each side - this will take about 5 mins. Once they are nearly done, move them to the side of the pan and add your scallops in. They should be cooked through in about 2 mins per side.
7. Turn the heat under your frying pan off and remove the veg from the oven to allow the scallops to rest for a few minutes and bring the temperature of everything down a bit - you want it to be a warm, not hot, salad so the leaves don't wilt!
8. While everything is resting, make up your dressing. Combine all the ingredients in a small bowl or jam jar and mix thoroughly. Grab your garlic cloves from the roasting pan - they should now be soft so that you can easily squeeze out the garlic from their skins. Mince this with a knife and add in to your dressing.
8. Cut your scallops in half across the width and then assemble your salad. Divide the veg, scallops and chorizo between the plates, drizzle over your dressing and enjoy!